The Cliffs of Moher, standing proudly along the rugged western coast of Ireland, are a sight to behold. If you find yourself in the charming city of Limerick and wish to embark on an unforgettable adventure to this iconic destination, this article will guide you on the best ways to reach the Cliffs of Moher from Limerick. Keep in mind, that there are other directions to get the Cliffs of Moher from Galway or Dublin.
Option 1: Self-Drive
Embarking on a self-drive journey from Limerick to the Cliffs of Moher allows you to enjoy the freedom and flexibility of exploring at your own pace. The distance between Limerick and the Cliffs is approximately 85 kilometers, with a travel time of around 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Rent a Car: Limerick offers various car rental services, both within the city and at Shannon Airport. It is advisable to book your vehicle in advance to ensure availability.
- Route: Departing from Limerick, follow the N18 road towards Ennis. From Ennis, take the N85 and R478 roads, which will lead you directly to the Cliffs of Moher Visitor Centre. Enjoy the scenic drive through the picturesque countryside of County Clare.
- Scenic Stops: Consider making additional stops along the way to explore attractions like Bunratty Castle, the charming village of Doolin, or the unique landscapes of the Burren region.
- By the way, there are some options for cheap parking at the location if you decide to get to the Cliffs of Moher from Limerick by car.
Option 2: Guided Tour to Cliffs of Moher from Limerick
Can you get to Cliffs of Moher without a car? – Yes, on guided tour or by public transport.
Joining a guided tour from Limerick to the Cliffs of Moher offers a hassle-free experience, providing insights into the region’s history and natural wonders.
- Choose a Tour Operator: Research various tour operators based in Limerick that offer day trips to the Cliffs of Moher. Look for tours that suit your preferences, including additional stops and inclusions.
- Itinerary and Inclusions: Review the tour itineraries carefully, ensuring they align with your desired experience. Many tours include stops at attractions like the Burren region, Poulnabrone Dolmen, or Doolin Village.
- Departure and Return: Most guided tours depart from central Limerick in the morning and return in the evening. Take note of the tour duration, any additional activities included, and whether meals are provided.
Option 3: Public Transportation to Cliffs of Moher
Limerick is well-connected by public transportation, offering convenient options for reaching the Cliffs of Moher.
- Bus: Bus Éireann operates regular bus services from Limerick to the Cliffs of Moher Visitor Centre. Buses depart from Limerick Bus Station, and the journey takes approximately 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on traffic and stops.
- Timetables and Tickets: Check the Bus Éireann website for the most up-to-date bus schedules and ticket prices. It is advisable to plan your trip in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons.
- Local Tours: Alternatively, you can join a local tour from Limerick that includes transportation to the Cliffs of Moher. These tours often provide additional commentary and stops at scenic viewpoints along the way.